Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why are teenagers so uninformed about politics and the world nowadays?

Speaking as a 16 year old, I am really into politics and what is happening, I really keep up with it, but about 95% of the kids I know in my school have no idea about anything happening.





Why does it seem like teens are so uninformed these days? You see how all these kids used to help train for war, raise money for wars, protest (like for Vietnam), and such, but now it is so sad.





Will it ever change?





And I don't mean tuning into hear about President Obama during the elections.








Mhm.Why are teenagers so uninformed about politics and the world nowadays?
The problem, you see, is that the kids you know are not representative of the teenage population as a whole. You're not meeting the kids who are out there living their lives... you know, the unschoolers. They are very informed about politics and many other things because they have either rediscovered or never lost their natural curiosity. It's not ';Why are teenagers so uninformed,'; it's ';why are school students so uninformed.'; Hope this helps. Good luck and bless you.Why are teenagers so uninformed about politics and the world nowadays?
I think you are quite possibly romanticizing some of the 60s and 70s era teenagers. I was a young girl in the 60s and a teen in the 70s, and I can definitely tell you that while yes, there were some teens who were definitely activists and ';political';...there were a great many more of them who were not!





My pet ';cause'; of that time was feminism and the environment (still is, come to think of it)...and yes, I bashed many an ear at that time. I can tell you from memory and experiences that a lot of those teens in my school and town were not interested in watching the news every night nor discussing current events in or out of class...and they thought I was a ';weirdo'; just because I was doing that.





Rather, most of those teens were more concerned about the stereotypical teenaged concerns such as their looks, clothes, what's ';in'; and what's ';out';, celebrities, what's happening to their bodies, their feelings re: love and sex...and when you think about it, there's really nothing wrong with that. It's a normal process.





If I had my teen years to do over again, knowing what I know now... I would probably not get so intense about politics and not be so overly serious all the time.. and I'd just learn to enjoy my teen years and have some fun and not feel so much like Atlas with the world on my shoulder and thinking I have to change the world before the end of Senior year!





Teens really should be paying attention to their studies and learning how to get along with others, and learning how to be good citizens in preparing for their lives as adults....and being a ';good citizen'; does NOT mean becoming a political junkie, a zealot or a religious fanatic who becomes skilled at losing friends and alienating people. It does not mean being a ';bore'; at social events that are meant to be fun.





I'm not saying don't be interested in politics or current events. What I'm saying is keep some perspective. Everything in moderation...when I hear someone calling someone else ';uninformed'; that tells me there's something else going on besides a genuine concern for change. IMO some people who get overly wrapped up in politics or religion for that matter and feel the need to proslytize to everyone...are sometimes just using it as an escape so as not to have to deal with their own real life personal problems and insecurities. Don't want to remind yourself you are having acne problems and you don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend or you're not in the popular crowd? Simple. Adopt a cause and immerse yourself in that to the exclusion of all else. Problem? You can't take a cause to the prom and a cause doesn't kiss you goodnight...or cure those acne pimples...nor does denying they exists by putting on the ';activist'; mask amongst your peers.





Besides, some people who think they're well informed and talking about whatever politic topic they favor infinitum ad nauseum really aren't all that well informed, either. Sometimes they are only listening to one side of the story, the one that reflects their views... and all too often, they are influenced by pundits and radio show hosts or even parents or significant others.





Now there are some people (teens included) who are surprisingly politically savvy and who can see all points of view, but you'd never know it because they don't talk about their politics to everyone with ears. When asked, they'll give a viewpoint, but they rarely initiate the discussion and if the discussion gets too heated, they move on to lighter topics.





Ever consider the possibility that some of that 95% may just be ';playing dumb'; because they don't want to be subjected to yet another diatribe?





You're only 16 once in your life, so why not lighten up a bit and have some fun? The politics will always be here...and there's no point in banging your head against the wall about thing when it comes down to brass tacks, you really can't control.
im 15 almost 16. politics bore me particularly because i dont have any need to keep up witht them. as a minor i dont have any responsibilites to society that i know. although im taking classes on government currently and theres alot more to politics than you think. half is boring and the other half is pretty fun!
I'm 20 and I'm interested in politics. I didn't really become interested until I was 15. Before I didn't really care, but I guess that's normal.





I wish younger people cared more, but like one person said, have they ever cared?
The only reason teenagers and young adults protested the Vietnam War is because they might be drafted. Now, no one is being drafted.


And no, teenagers were never into politics.
Kids these days arent attracted to anything that doesnt involve video games, tv shows, iphones, or fast paced (doesnt make any sense) information...





What all these kids need is ridalin
they dont care

No comments:

Post a Comment